Plan to attend a special half-day workshop on the critical issues of racism and systemic injustice, offered by the Anti-Racism/Pro-Reconciliation Team (Christian Church of Mid-America) in partnership with Drury University.
Here’s what you need to know:
Where: Findlay Student Center Ballroom, Drury University
When: Thursday, October 6, 1:00-5:00pm
Who: All are welcome, especially congregational leaders, clergy, youth and children’s ministry leaders, community leaders
What: The afternoon will include speakers, video, interactive experiences and conversation. Attendees will learn to
- Name and understand key terms/concepts related to racism
- Describe contemporary and historic examples of institutional racism, white privilege, civil and human rights in the U.S.
- Articulate a biblical foundation for justice ministry
- Engage in informed dialogue about current issues of racism and reconciliation in the U.S. and in local communities
- Begin to develop personal and community-based “Next Steps” to address systemic racism in participants’ own communities.
Cost: $10/person (Drury University is providing space and support at no charge as our partner in this event, allowing us to keep the cost very low).
For question regarding registration contact the SW office of the Christian Church of Mid-America at email@example.com or 417-865-0850; for questions regarding the workshop contact one of the following Pro-Reconciliation/ Anti-Racism Team:
- Phil Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org or 573-221-7376
- Rev. Margie Pride at email@example.com or 314-776-1669
- Rev. Kathyrn Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 417-624-2522
- Rev. Joe Jimerson at email@example.com or 573-808-3756
- Madeline Haraway at firstname.lastname@example.org or 314-771-0975
- Rev. Martha Jolly at email@example.com or 573-999-6356